New Zealand Police Tuesday 30 March 2010, 4:43PM
Media release from New Zealand Police
Police investigating allegations by 40 people who complained about
their treatment at Lake Alice Child and Adolescent Unit in the
1970's have decided that no criminal charges will be laid against
the man at the centre of the allegations, Doctor Selwyn
Assistant Commissioner Malcolm Burgess said that, despite a lengthy
investigation, Police had decided that there was insufficient
evidence on which to mount a prosecution. The Police opinion of the
evidence has been subject to an independent legal peer review which
reached a similar conclusion.
The police inquiry included locating and analysing medical records,
a comprehensive search of Police and Health file systems to try and
identify any material that might assist, and the further interview
of witnesses and complainants. In addition to the police enquiries,
material was assembled from the Ombudsman's inquiry in 1977 and the
Commission of Inquiry from 1977.
Mr Burgess said that the inquiry was made more difficult by the
delay in having these matters investigated:
"These events happened over thirty years ago. Some witnesses have
died, others were unable to accurately recall events to the level
of detail required, some records and original files that may have
assisted the inquiry have been lost or destroyed."
Mr Burgess said the Police inquiry, which was renewed in 2006
following the receipt of two additional complaints, was now at an
end. He said that each of the complainants had been advised of the
outcome of the inquiry.