Doctor- One-year voluntary assignment (Papua New Guinea)
Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA) sends skilled Kiwis to the Pacific and beyond to share their experience and knowledge directly with local people and communities.
How will you make an impact:
Working in collaboration with existing medical staff based in St Mary’s Hospital, East New Britain you will provide clinical services in a variety of specialist areas ranging from (paediatric, internal medicine, or surgical services) depending on your area of expertise and practice. With a strong emphasis on capacity-building you will deliver general clinical services at out-patients clinics and contribute to the teaching programme at the School of Nursing attached to St Mary’s. You will also train and mentor staff and nursing students, cultivating a positive learning environment at the hospital. Although the successful candidate will primarily work at St Mary's, this assignment also offers the opportunity to travel to rural health clinics to provide clinical services and on the job training.
This is a one-year assignment based in Kokopo, East New Britain.
- A qualified, registered doctor with an understanding of the health problems of people living in a developing nation
- Specialist qualifications in general practice, surgery, medicine, paediatrics or tropical medicine
- Motivated and resourceful. You will thrive on the challenge of working in a hospital/ clinic with limited access to facilities, equipment and treatment options
- Experience in tutoring student medical professionals and working in an environment that values collaboration
- Experience of working in a team with other doctors and nurses
VSA volunteers receive a living allowance and accommodation, insurance, and medical costs are provided. Travel arrangements are organised and funded by VSA along with other costs.
Be part of the story that began more than 55 years ago with our founding President, Sir Edmund Hillary. This dynamic assignment offers an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience and improve the health outcomes in East New Britain.
Please review the ad on our website and submit your completed VSA Application form and current CV to: email@example.com
Closing date: 1 July 2018