Obesity is a chronic, relapsing, neurobehavioural disease with metabolic, biomechanical and psychosocial health consequences. Assessing and treating obesity is a common requirement in primary care consultations. Even when changes are gradual, small and stepwise, they can have long-lasting positive effects. This article by Ole Schmiedel provides evidence-based tools for the successful management of people with obesity
1. Upadhyay J, Farr O, Perakakis N, et al. Obesity as a disease. Med Clin North Am 2018;102(1):13–33.
2. Ministry of Health. Annual Data Explorer 2020/21: New Zealand Health Survey. 2021. https://minhealthnz.shinyapps.io/nz-health-survey-2020-21-annual-data-explorer/
3. Prospective Studies Collaboration, Whitlock G, Lewington S, Sherliker P, et al. Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet 2009;373(9669):1083–96.
4. Srivastava G, Kushner RF, Apovian CM. Use of the historial weight trajectory to guide an obesity-focused patient encounter. In: Feingold KR, Anawalt B, Boyce A, et al (editors). Endotext. South Dartmouth, MA: MDText.com, Inc; 2000.
5. Ministry of Health. Clinical Guidelines for Weight Management in New Zealand Adults. Wellington, NZ: Ministry of Health; 2017.
6. Ministry of Health. Clinical Guidelines for Weight Management in New Zealand Children and Young People. Wellington, NZ: Ministry of Health; 2016.
7. Apovian CM, Aronne LJ, Bessesen DH, et al. Pharmacological management of obesity: an endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100(2):342–62.
8. Taylor T, Wang Y, Rogerson W, et al. Attrition after acceptance onto a publicly funded bariatric surgery program. Obes Surg 2018;28(8):2500–07.
9. Cawley J, Biener A, Meyerhoefer C, et al. Direct medical costs of obesity in the United States and the most populous states. J Manag Care Spec Pharm 2021;27(3):354–66.
10. Cawley J, Meyerhoefer C, Biener A, et al. Savings in medical expenditures associated with reductions in body mass index among US adults with obesity, by diabetes status. Pharmacoeconomics 2015;33(7):707–22.
Table 2: Sharma A, Kushner R. A proposed clinical staging system for obesity. Int J Obes 2009;33:289–95.