1. Medsafe. Dietary supplements: Guidance for natural health practitioners, 2013. Available online at http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/NaturalHealth.asp
2. Medical Council of New Zealand. Statement on complementary and alternative medicine, 2011. Available online (pdf) at https://www.mcnz.org.nz/assets/News-and-Publications/Statements/Complementary-and-alternative-medicine.pdf
3. Medical Council of New Zealand. Good prescribing practice, 2016. Available online (pdf) at https://www.mcnz.org.nz/assets/News-and-Publications/Statements/Good-prescribing-practice.pdf
4. Pinkerton JV, Pickar JH. Update on medical and regulatory issues pertaining to compounded and FDA-approved drugs, including hormone therapy. Menopause 2016;23(2):215–23.
5. Delfs TM, Klein S, Fottrell P et al. 24-hour profiles of salivary progesterone. Fertil Steril 1994;62(5):960–66.
6. Jonklaas J, Bianco AC, Bauer AJ et al. Guidelines for the treatment of hypothyroidism: prepared by the American Thyroid Association Task Force on Thyroid Hormone Replacement. Thyroid 2014;24(12):1670–751.
7. Cobin RH, Petak SM, Bledsoe MB et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Reproductive Medicine Committee position statement on bioidentical hormones, 2007. Available online (pdf) at https://www.aace.com/files/position-statements/aacebhstatement071507.pdf
8. Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Hayes FJ et al. Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;95(6):2536–59.
9. Gaudard AM, Silva de Souza S, Puga ME et al. Bioidentical hormones for women with vasomotor symptoms. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016(8):CD010407.
10. Langer RD. The evidence base for HRT: what can we believe? Climacteric 2017;20(2):91–96.
11. US Food and Drug Administration. 2006 Limited FDA survey of compounded drug products, 2006. Available online at https://www.fda.gov/drugs/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/pharmacycompounding/ucm204237.htm
12. Ramin CJ. The hormone hoax. More [magazine], 2013. www.more.com
13. The US Department of Justice. 14 Indicted in connection with New England compounding center and nationwide fungal meningitis outbreak, 2014. Available online at https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/14-indicted-connection-new-england-compounding-center-and-nationwide-fungal-meningitis
14. Ogilvie CM, Levenberg R, Milsom SR. Bioidentical testosterone cream: a rare cause of postmenopausal virilisation. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2009;49(1):116–17.
15. Vashisht A, Wadsworth F, Carey A et al. Bleeding profiles and effects on the endometrium for women using a novel combination of transdermal oestradiol and natural progesterone cream as part of a continuous combined hormone replacement regime. Br J Obstet Gynecol 2005;112(10):1402–6.
16. Astin JA. Why patients use alternative medicine: results of a national study. JAMA 1998;279(19):1548–53.
17. McIntyre E, Saliba AJ, Wiener KK et al. Herbal medicine use behaviour in Australian adults who experience anxiety: a descriptive study. BMC Complement Altern Med 2016;16:60.
18. Tonob D, Melby MK. Broadening our perspectives on complementary and alternative medicine for menopause: A narrative review. Maturitas 2017;99:79–85.